Context: Madhya Pradesh, often referred to as “The Tiger State,” is not only renowned for its thriving population of majestic tigers but also for its rich and diverse natural resources. This central Indian state boasts a unique blend of biodiversity, lush forests, pristine rivers, and a treasure trove of mineral wealth. In this article, we will delve into the abundant natural resources that make Madhya Pradesh a truly exceptional and ecologically significant region in India.
- Located in central India.
- Borders Uttar Pradesh to the northeast, Chhattisgarh to the southeast, Maharashtra to the south, Gujarat to the west, and Rajasthan to the northwest.
|Mock Interviews for Civil Services Exam||Expert Strategies to Help You Succeed at Your IAS Interview|
|Best UPPCS Mains Test Series 2024||World Population Day 2023|
|Fishing Industry in India||Top 10 Tourist States in India|
- Known as the ‘Tiger State.’
- Madhya Pradesh has the only working diamond mine in India.
- Abundant reserves of manganese and dolomite, key ingredients for iron and steel.
- Largest producer of soybean, pulses, gram, and garlic.
- Third-largest producer of cement in India.
- Over 144 BCM of coal bed methane reserves available.
- Produces about 45% of India’s bauxite, with Jabalpur, Mandla, Shahdol, Satna, and Rewa as important bauxite-producing centers.
Wildlife and Reserves:
- Pench and Kanha forests in the Satpura ranges, and Bandhavgarh in the Vindhyas are all tiger reserves.
- The narrow and long Narmada-Son valley runs almost through the entire state from east to west, making the area suitable for agricultural activities.
- The highest point in Madhya Pradesh is Dhupgarh, with an elevation of 1,350 m.
- The River Narmada flows through a gorge of marble rocks in Bhedaghat, Jabalpur.
- Chanderi and Maheshwari are famous for traditional handicrafts and handloom clothes.
State Animal / Bird / Tree / Flower / Fish:
- Swamp Deer (Barasingha) / Paradise Flycatcher / Banyan Tree / Madonna Lilly / Mahasheer
- Subtropical climate
- Black soil, most predominantly in the Malwa region, Mahakoshal, and in southern Bundelkhand.
- Red and yellow soil in the Baghelkhand region.
- Alluvial soil in Northern Madhya Pradesh.
- Laterite soil in highland areas.
- Mixed soil in parts of the Gwalior and Chambal divisions.
- Bharia, Panika, Agariya, Baiga, Bhil, Gond, Halba, Korku, Mariya, Sahariya
- Bandhavgarh National Park, Kanha National Park, Satpura National Park, Sanjay National Park, Madhav National Park, Van Vihar National Park, Mandla Plant Fossils National Park, Panna National Park, Pench National Park, and Dinosaur National Park, Dhar.
- Bori Wildlife Sanctuary, Bagdara Wildlife Sanctuary, Ghatigaon Wildlife Sanctuary (The Great Indian Bustard), Gangau Wildlife Sanctuary, Gandhisagar Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Kuno Wildlife Sanctuary (Asiatic lions would be shifted here), Karera Wildlife Sanctuary (The Great Indian Bustard), Ken Ghariyal Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Kheoni Wildlife Sanctuary, Nauradehi Wildlife Sanctuary (1197 Sq.Km), Narsinghgarh Wildlife Sanctuary, N. Chambal Wildlife Sanctuary, Orchha Wildlife Sanctuary, Pachmarhi Wildlife Sanctuary, Panpatha Wildlife Sanctuary, Phen Wildlife Sanctuary, Pench Wildlife Sanctuary, Ralamanda Wildlife Sanctuary, Ratapani Wildlife Sanctuary, Son Ghariyal Wildlife Sanctuary, Sanjay Dubri Wildlife Sanctuary, Singhori Wildlife Sanctuary, Sardarpur Wildlife Sanctuary (famous for Kharmour bird), Sailana Wildlife Sanctuary, Veerangna Durgawati Sanctuary.
World Heritage Sites:
- Sanchi stupa, Rock shelter of Bhimbetka, Groups of temples-Khajuraho.
- Kanha, Bandhavgarh, Pench, Panna, and Satpura National Parks.
- Bhoj wetland.
- Diamond, Manganese, Sandstone, Limestone, Copper.
- Khajuraho dance festival, Gana-Gour, Ganga, Dashami, Hareli, Simhastha, Tansen music festival, Chethiyagiri vihara festival, Lokrang festival, Lokranjan festival.
- Gaur dance, Muria dance, Karma, Bhagoria, Baredi, Ahirai, Naurata, Badhai, Matki.
- Wall paintings/ Bhitti chitras, Chippa bagh/ hand-block printers, Battubai dolls.
- Chanderi Sarees, Leather Toys of Indore, Bagh Prints, Bell Metal Ware of Datia and Tikamgarh, Maheshwar Sarees & Fabrics, Bell Metal Ware of Datia and Tikamgarh (Logo), Leather Toys of Indore (Logo), Ratlami Sev, Bagh Prints of Madhya Pradesh (Logo), Jhabua Kadaknath Black Chicken Meat, Tiger prints.