International Day of Action for Rivers
International Day of Action for Rivers is celebrated every year on March 14 to save the existence of rivers and to make people aware about it.
- The day is dedicated to saving, celebrating, and creating
- awareness about the importance of rivers.
- The day tries to focus attention on the unequal access to clean water and pollution caused by human activities.
- This year the 26th International Day of Action for Rivers is being celebrated.
- Many rivers around the world, especially in underdeveloped countries, are contaminated with harmful industrial waste.
- Hence this year the day seeks to emphasize the need for humanity to act as river protectors.
- The theme of 2023 is “Rights of Rivers,” which calls for the designation of rivers as a national treasure.
Background of the day
- The first International Day of Action for Rivers was observed in March 1997.
- In March 1997 in Curitiba, Brazil, participants of the first International Meeting of People Affected by Dams adopted the International Day of Act.ion Against Dams and River s, Water and Life.
- In addition, it was decided that the International Day of A.ction for Rivers would be observed every year on 14 March.
Also Read : Infrastructure Finance Company