Context:- Commonwealth Day of India is celebrated every year on 24 May.
An Overview of the News
- Commonwealth Day is a global celebration that is usually celebrated on 13 March, but India and some other countries celebrate it on 24 May.
- The theme for Commonwealth Day 2023 is “Forging a Sustainable and Peaceful Common Future”.
- In 2023, Commonwealth Day aims to promote a sense of shared humanity and solidarity.
- The occasion aims to bring together the 2.5 billion citizens of the Commonwealth to recognize their shared values and principles.
- Commonwealth Day provides an opportunity to recognize and acknowledge the achievements of the 54 Commonwealth countries.
- Focus areas include addressing climate change and promoting gender equality.
Read also:- The decline of the Mughal Empire
History of Commonwealth Day:
- It was started in 1902 to pay respect after the death of Queen Victoria on January 22, 1901.
- The first commemoration of Commonwealth Day took place on May 24, 1902, on the occasion of Queen Victoria’s birthday.
- In 1916, Commonwealth Day received official recognition as an annual celebration.
- In 1958, Prime Minister Harold Macmillan changed the name of the event from Empire Day to Commonwealth Day.
Read also:- Commonwealth Countries
According to a 1916 dated article, Commonwealth Day is “a symbol of unity of emotion to those ideas of freedom, justice, as well as tolerance for which the British Empire stood for across the globe.” When it was known as Empire Day, the ideals of the day included reminding all children that they were a member of the British Empire. The children should also think like people from other countries. They must also understand what it’s like to be the Empire’s sons and daughters.
Read also:- Groundwater Sources
Read also:- International Nurses Day
Indian Commonwealth Day – 24 May,Indian Commonwealth Day – 24 May