Why in news?
The Prime Minister attended the 3rd summit of Forum for India-Pacific Islands Cooperation (FIPIC) was held in Papu New Guinea.
What is forum for India-Pacific Islands Cooperation (FIPIC)?
Multinational grouping – Forum for India-Pacific Islands cooperation (FIPIC) is a multinational grouping developed in 2014 for cooperation between India and 14 Pacific Islands.
14 Pacific Islands nations – Include Cook Islands, Fiji, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Nauru, Niue, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Tonga, Tuvalu and Vanuatu.
Read also:- INDIAN ISLANDS
Fiji – All Head of state/head of government of the above countries met in Suva, Fiji in November 2014 for the first time where the annual summit was conceptualized.
Exclusive economic zones (EEZs) – Since many have large exclusive economic zones (EEZs) it offers promising possibilities for fruitful cooperation with India.
Strategic and commercial interests in Indian Ocean – India’s focus has largely been on the Indian Ocean where it has sought to play a major role and protect its strategic and commercial interests.
Business Accelerator for Forum for India – Pacific Islands cooperation (FIPIC) – An initiative to strengthen the India ties with pacific nation countries.
Free and open Indo-Pacific – PM Modi underlines importance of free and open Indo-Pacific at FIPIC summit in Papua New Guinea.
What is Oceania?
- Oceania is a region made up of thousands of islands throughout the Central and South Pacific Ocean.
- It includes Australia, the smallest continent in terms of total land area.
- Oceania has traditionally been divided into four parts which are Australasia (Australia and New Zealand), Melanesia, Micronesia, and Polynesia.
- The marine environment is an important and influential physical region in Australia and Oceania.
What is Free and Open Indo-Pacific (FOIP)?
Freedom of navigation – It is a vision for the region that is based on the principles of freedom of navigation,
The rule of law, and respect for sovereignty.
China’s rise – The FOIP is seen by many as a way to counter China’s growing assertiveness in the region.
Supporting countries – The FOIP is supported by a number of countries, including the United States, Japan, Australia and India.
Maintaining peace and stability – The supporting countries believe that the FOIP will help to promote economic growth,
Prosperity, maintain peace and stability in the region.
China’s opposition – China has been critical of the FOIP, arguing that it is a thinly veiled attempt to contain China’s rise.
What are the significance of India-Papu New Guinea relations?
- Modi is the first Indian prime minister to visit the country.
- Can strengthen India stands in the forum for India-Pacific Islands Cooperation.
- Can be vital to counter the china’s growing presence in the region.
- Lauch of Tamil classic ‘Thirukkural’ to the Tok Pisin language of Papua New Guinea give impetus to cultural exchange relationship.
- The Hindu
Read also:- AL-MOHED AL-HINDI 2023 Naval Exercise
Forum for India-Pacific Islands Cooperation (FIPIC),Forum for India-Pacific Islands Cooperation (FIPIC)