Context: – The World Happiness Report 2023 : Recently the 11th edition of the World Happiness Report, 2023 was released by the United Nations Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN).
An overview of the news
- The report says that between 2020 and 2022, the world will see a ‘significant’ increase in resilience.
- Two significant events affected the world during this period – the COVID-19 pandemic and the Russian invasion of Ukraine.
- According to the report, during this time of crisis, global citizens became increasingly philanthropic and built stronger social ties.
- There are 25 percent more “charitable acts” worldwide in 2022 than before the pandemic.
Key Highlight of the report
Top Performing Countries
- Finland continues to be the happiest country around the world for the sixth consecutive year.
- Denmark is at number two, followed by Iceland at number three.
Worst Performing Countries
- Afghanistan is ranked as the unhappiest nation, followed by Lebanon, Sierra Leone, Zimbabwe respectively.
- India ranks 126 out of 136 countries, making it one of the least happy countries in the world.
- In 2022, India was ranked 136 out of 146 countries.
- India’s neighbors ranked Sri Lanka (63), China (74) and Pakistan (108), among others.
About World Happiness Report
- It has been published annually since 2012 by the United Nations Sustainable Development Solutions Network.
- The ranking uses key factors to measure happiness – real GDP per capita, social support, healthy life expectancy, generosity and perceptions of corruption.
- The report ranks global happiness based on survey data from people in more than 150 countries.