Context:- World Meteorological Day is observed every year on March 23 to commemorate the formal establishment of the World Meteorological Organisation (WMO) in 1950.
- The day symbolizes how human behavior and the planet’s climate are intertwined.
- “The day highlights the essential role played by the ‘National Meteorological and Hydrological Service’ (NMHS) in the safety and well-being of society”.
- The day highlights past achievements, present progress and future potential from the late 19th century.
- The Theme for WMD 2023 is ‘The Future of Weather, Climate and Water across Generations.’
- This theme emphasizes the effects of climate change and actions to protect the environment for future generations.
World Meteorological Organisation (WMO)
- It was founded in 1873 by the International Meteorological Organization.
- Headquarter – Geneva, Switzerland
- On March 23, 1950, the World Me.teorological Organization became a specialized organization of the United Nations.
- This organization uses the latest information on meteorology, climatology, hydrology and related geophysical research to contribute to the safety and welfare of society.