Why in News?
The Union Ministry of Jal Shakti has selected Madhya Pradesh for the first place in the best state category in the National Water Award, 2022, in recognition of its excellent work in the management, conservation, and augmentation of water resources.
An overview of the news
- The awards, announced by the Jal Shakti Ministry, recognized 41 winners across 11 categories for their outstanding contributions to water conservation in India in 2022.
- Madhya Pradesh received the first prize in the best State category, while the best district award went to Ganjam District in Odisha.
- The Union Ministry of Panchayati Raj honored the Jagannadhapuram Village Panchayat in Bhadradri Kothagudem district of Telangana with the Best Village Panchayat award.
- The organizing committee presented each winner with a citation, a trophy, and cash prizes.
National Water Awards
- The National Water Awards aim to acknowledge and encourage the efforts made by individuals and organizations in realizing the government’s vision of a water-prosperous India.
- They also seek to create awareness about the importance of water and promote the adoption of best practices for its sustainable use.
- Vice-President stressed the significance of adopting the three Rs – Reduce, Reuse, Recycle – to revive ancient water harvesting systems such as ponds.
- Union Jal Shakti Minister Gajendra Singh Shekhawat shared that the country has constructed approximately 56,000 Amrit Sarovars (sacred ponds).
- To fulfill these objectives, the department introduced the first edition of National Water Awards in 2018. The organizing committee held the prize distribution ceremony on February 25, 2019, at New Delhi, where they awarded 82 winners under 14 categories.
- The Vice President of India felicitated 98 winners in 16 categories during the 2nd National Water Awards 2019, which took place on November 11-12, 2020.
- On March 29, 2022, the then President of India, Ram Nath Kovind, honored 57 winners in 11 categories during the 3rd National Water Awards.
- In the third National Water Awards, Uttar Pradesh got the first prize in the ‘Best State‘ category for the best performance towards water conservation.
National Water Awards: Madhya Pradesh tops in Best State Category,National Water Awards: Madhya Pradesh tops in Best State CategoryNational Water Awards: Madhya Pradesh tops in Best State Category,National Water Awards: Madhya Pradesh tops in Best State Category