A national security doctrine helps the statesmen identify and prioritize the country’s geopolitical interests. A National Security Doctrine covers all aspects of a country’s policies to protect and promote its national security.
National security is a concept that a government, along with its parliaments, should protect the state and its citizens against all kind of “national” crises.
- A national security doctrine helps the statesmen identify and prioritize the country’s geopolitical interests. A National Security Doctrine protects and promotes a country’s interests through comprehensive policies.
- India does not have any such doctrine.
What is the need for National Security Doctrine for India?
- Hostile Nuclear-armed Neighbours: India has two hostile nuclear-armed neighbours, Pakistan and China. Both have antagonist approach towards India. Any error by either State might result in a nuclear conflict. Having NSD will be beneficial in reducing the threat posed by nuclear weapons.
- Consistency and Political Consensus: NSD ensures consistent and authoritative guiding principles for addressing threats like Pakistan, Maoism, insurgency, etc.
- Calibrating National Security and Foreign Policy: Because there has never been a security doctrine, there has been very little effort put into calibrating national security initiatives with foreign policy. There is ambiguity on the most effective foreign policy approach to tackle Pakistan-sponsored terrorism globally.
- Jointness in Tri-Services: A National Security Doctrine can guide jointness efforts and mitigate inter-service conflicts in achieving joint theatre commands.
- Multiple Threats: India had long porous borders with many of its neighbours which are exploited for arms, drugs and human trafficking. India faces threat of external state-sponsored terrorism as well as self-radicalized domestic terrorism. A comprehensive doctrine will help in addressing these challenges.
- New Challenges:A National Security Doctrine anticipates and addresses emerging challenges like cyberterrorism, hybrid warfare, climate change, and migration.
Significance of National Security Doctrine
- This would help in prompt and relevant decision making as the decisions will be guided by national security strategy enshrined in the doctrine.This would result in consistent security response at the time of insurgences.
- A National Security Doctrine promotes coordination among security establishments to prevent terror attacks caused by lack of coordination.
- This would also make the security establishments more accountable in case of any failure to combat the terror attack.
- Moreover, prompt and successful handling of such attacks would ensure peace, progress and development in the country.
FAQs Related with National Security Doctrine
Ques 1: What is a National Security Doctrine?
Answer: A National Security Doctrine guides a country’s strategies for ensuring its national security.
Ques 2: Why is a National Security Doctrine important?
Answer: A National Security Doctrine guides decision-making and response to address threats and challenges for national security.
Ques 3: How does a National Security Doctrine benefit a country?
Answer: A National Security Doctrine prioritizes concerns, enhances coordination, and supports long-term planning for national security.
Read Also : Why The Govt Has More Cash, Less Grain To Give?