Context:- The Fifth United Nations Conference on the Least Developed Countries (LDC5) concluded with adoption of the ‘Doha Political Declaration’.
The Sustainable Development Report 2022 flagged that the LDCs are the worst performers on the progress made towards achieving SDGs.
- The Doha Programme of Action (DPoA) for the Decade (2022-2031) was agreed upon during the first part of the LDC5 conference at New York in 2022.
- The second part of LDC5 conference held under the theme ‘From Potential to Prosperity’ at Qatar in March, 2023.
- The declaration adopted in the second part of LDC5 focuses on implementing the DPoA.
- The DPoA is the 10-year plan to put the world’s 46 most vulnerable countries back on track to achieving the UN-mandated Sustainable Development Goals (SDG).
- Focus Area – DPoA (2022-2031) consisted of 6 key focus areas including
- Deliverables – The 5 key deliverables from the DPoA are – an online university, a graduation support package, a food stock holding solution, an investment support centre and a crisis mitigation and resilience building mechanism.
- They will answer key challenges facing the LDCs, and set the path for a more prosperous, equitable future.
Doha Political Declaration