The day was established by the Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations in 2001. World Milk Day is celebrated every year on 1st June to educate people about the importance of milk in our diet. As milk contains valuable nutrients and offers a range of health benefits. It is not only consumed by growing children but also by people of all age groups. It is an important part of our daily diet. It has great nourishing value and a rich source of calcium, protein, fat, etc. Mainly we get milk from cows, buffaloes, and from other animals like sheep, goats, and camels.
Read also:- The Art and Science of Agriculture
Theme Of World Milk Day 2023
World Milk Day Organization annually announces a new theme for June 1. World Milk Day 2023 theme is “Enjoy Dairy”. The organization encourages the participation of people in its annual social media campaigns. The hashtags for this year’s Milk Day campaign are #WorldMilkDay and #EnjoyDairy.
Last year, the theme of World Milk Day 2022 was “Dairy Net-Zero”. This theme showcased the work in progress to expedite climate action and minimize the environmental impact of the dairy industry.
Read also:- Growth of Indian Nationalism
The theme of World Milk Day 2022 was “Dairy Net-Zero”. Here are some more details about the theme.
- According to a report by Anand Dairy University, the dairy industry accounts for 2.7 percent of global carbon-dioxide emissions.
- Emissions begin with the production of dairy animal feed and end with the consumption of milk products.
- Fueled by the recent developments towards combating climate change at the global level, World Milk Day emphasizes the role of the industry in achieving humongous climate targets.
- Moreover, Milk Day will encourage sustainable dairy production toward achieving Dairy Net-Zero.
History Of World Milk Day
World Milk Day first time was celebrated in 2001 all across the globe and several countries participated in the event. The Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations (FAO) selected June 1st in 2001 as World Milk Day, which celebrates the contributions of the dairy sector to sustainability, economic development, livelihoods, and nutrition. In fact, the number of countries for participation is increasing year by year. Several activities related to this day have been organised on a national and international level. As discussed above, World Milk Day is celebrated to raise awareness among people about the nutrient value of milk and the necessity to add it to the diet.
The significance of Milk Day is acknowledged by all United Nations member states, which celebrate the day annually on June 1. Here are some reasons why this day is considered so important.
- Milk is global food consumed since time immemorial.
- It is a mixture of quintessential major and minor, constituting a healthy and balanced diet.
- According to Food and Agricultural Organisation, around six billion people consume milk in one or another way globally.
- World Milk Day aims to educate people about the high demand and sources of milk.
- This day also wants to highlight the fact that the dairy industry provides livelihood to one billion people.
- Milk is central to food security, nutrition, economic sustenance, and the development of every human.
Read also:- Indian Agriculture Scenario