Write a short note on the Department of Science and Technology.
Department of Science & Technology (DST) was established in May 1971, with the objective of promoting new areas of Science & Technology and playing the role of a nodal department for organizing, coordinating, and promoting S&T activities in the country. The Department has major responsibilities for specific projects and programs as listed below:
- Formulation of policies relating to Science and Technology.
- Matters relating to the Scientific Advisory Committee of the Cabinet (SACC).
- Promotion of new areas of Science and Technology with special emphasis on emerging areas.
- Research and Development through its research institutions or laboratories for the development of indigenous technologies concerning biofuel production, processing, standardization, and applications, in co-ordination with the concerned Ministry or Department;
- Research and Development activities to promote the utilization of by-products to develop value-added chemicals.
- Coordination and integration of areas of Science & Technology having cross-sectoral linkages in which a number of institutions and departments have interest and capabilities.
- Undertaking or financially sponsoring scientific and technological surveys, research design, and development, where necessary.
- Support and Grants-in-aid to Scientific Research Institutions, Scientific Associations, and Bodies.
- All matters concerning:
1. Science and Engineering Research Council;
2. Technology Development Board and related Acts such as the Research and Development Cess Act,1986 (32 of 1986) and the Technology Development Board Act,1995 (44 of 1995);
3. National Council for Science |&| Tech Communication;
4. National Sci and Technology Entrepreneurship Development Board;
5. International Science and Technology Cooperation including the appointment of scientific attaches abroad (These functions shall be exercised in close cooperation with the Ministry of External Affairs);
6. Autonomous Science and Technology Institutions relating to the subject under the Department of Science and Technology including the Institute of Astrophysics, and Institute of Geo-magnetism;
7. Professional Science Academies promoted and funded by the Department of Science & Tech;
8. The Survey of India, National Atlas, and Thematic Mapping Organisation;
9. National Spatial Data Infrastructure and promotion of G.I.S;
10. The National Innovation Foundation, Ahmadabad. Matters commonly affecting Scientific and technological departments/organizations/ institutions e.g. financial, personnel, purchase, and import policies and practices.
11. Management Information Systems for Science and Technology and coordination thereof. 12. Matters regarding Inter-Agency/Inter-Departmental coordination for evolving science and technology missions.
13. Matters concerning domestic technology particularly the promotion of ventures involving the commercialization of such technology other than those under the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research.
14. All other measures are needed for the promotion of science and tech. and their application to the development and security of the nation.
15. Matters relating to institutional Science and Technology capacity building including setting up of new institutions and institutional infrastructure.
16. Promotion of Sci. and Technology at the State, District, and Village levels for grassroots development through State Science and Technology Councils and other mechanisms.
17. Application of Science and Technology for weaker sections, women, and other disadvantaged sections of Society.