Context: – Save the Elephant Day is observed every year on 16 April and the day aims to promote awareness of the issues faced by elephants and inspire efforts to protect these majestic animals.
An Overview of the News
- The day provides an opportunity to highlight the importance of elephants, the challenges they face and the actions that can be taken to protect their existence.
- The theme of Save the Elephant Day 2023 is “Protecting Elephant Habitats for a Sustainable Tomorrow”.
- The theme highlights the importance of conserving the environment on which the survival of elephants depends and underlines the important role they play in promoting a sustainable future for elephants and their habitat.
History of Save The Elephant Day
- The event was first celebrated on 16 April 2012 and is now celebrated every year.
- The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust, a non-profit organisation in Kenya, inspired the creation of Save the Elephant Day.
- The organisation recognized the need for a global awareness campaign to highlight the threats faced by elephants, such as poaching, habitat loss and conflict with humans.
- Save the Elephant Day aims to educate people about the importance of protecting elephants and encourage actions that support their conservation efforts.
- In 1992, the Government of India launched Project Elephant, a centrally sponsored scheme with the goal of protecting elephants and their habitat, addressing the issue of man-animal conflict, and promoting the welfare of captive elephants.