- Ravi Sinha, a senior IPS officer of the Chhattisgarh cadre, has been appointed new chief of India’s external intelligence Research and Analysis Wing or R&AW chief on Monday. Sinha will succeed incumbent Samant Goel on completion of his tenure on June 30 and have a two-year tenure, a personnel ministry order said.
- Sinha, a 1988 batch Indian Police Service (IPS) officer, is currently serving as special secretary, Cabinet Secretariat. The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has approved Sinha’s appointment as secretary, R&AW for a tenure of two years, the order said.
Research and Analysis Wing (RAW)
- It is the foreign intelligence agency of India.
- RAW’s primary function is to gather foreign intelligence.
- It is responsible for counter-terrorism and counter-proliferation efforts.
- RAW advises Indian policy makers on strategic matters.