The Indian junior men’s hockey team maintained its continental supremacy by beating arch-rivals Pakistan 2-1 to become Asia Cup champions in Salalah, Oman. Angad Bir Singh struck in the 13th minute and Araijeet Singh Hundal in the 20th for India, while Pakistan managed to pull one back with Abdul Basharat scoring in the 37th minute.
An Overview of the News
- The win marked India’s fourth title in the men’s Junior Asia Cup, having previously won in 2004, 2008 and 2015.
- Angad Bir Singh and Arjit Hundal Singh scored for India, while Pakistan managed to score a goal through Basharat Ali.
- In the semi-finals, India defeated Republic of Korea 9–1, while Pakistan defeated Malaysia 6–2 to enter the final.
- Pakistan are the second most successful team in the men’s junior Asia Cup with three titles, but their last win was 27 years ago in 1996.
Men’s Hockey Junior Asia Cup
- It is an international under-21 field hockey tournament organized by the Asian Hockey Federation (AHF).
- The tournament has been held annually since 1988 and serves as a qualifying event for the men’s FIH Hockey Junior World Cup.
- To participate in the tournament, players must be under 21 years of age as of 31 December of the year preceding the tournament.
Oman is a country located in the Middle East, on the southeastern coast of the Arabian Peninsula. It shares borders with the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, and Yemen. Oman is known for its diverse landscapes, including deserts, mountains, and coastlines along the Arabian Sea and the Gulf of Oman.
The capital city of Oman is Muscat, which is also the country’s largest city. Muscat is home to numerous historical and cultural landmarks, such as the Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque, the Royal Opera House Muscat, and the Mutrah Souq.
Oman has a rich history and is often referred to as the “Oman of the past.” The country has preserved its cultural heritage through the preservation of traditional architecture, forts, and historical sites. It is also known for its warm hospitality and welcoming nature.
India won the Men’s Junior Asia Cup 2023 title in Hockey