Context:- Investing in early warning, agrifood chains needed for resilient food systems: Global Food Policy Report.
- The Global Food Policy Report is released by the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- There is a need to invest beyond short-term fixes to build food systems that are more resilient and equitable.
- The report called for a more proactive response to food system shocks with focus on three key areas:
- Crisis prediction and preparation
- Building resilience before and during crises
- Making crisis response supportive and inclusive of women, forced migrants and other vulnerables groups.
- Investing in early warning systems is essential to save lives, livelihoods and money.
- In 2022, the food insecurity was exacerbated by the Russia-Ukraine war and related spikes in food and fertiliser prices.
International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI)
- It is established in the year 1975 with its headquarters at Washington D.C.
- The IFPRI provides research-based policy solutions to sustainably reduce poverty and end hunger and malnutrition in developing countries.
- It is a research centre of the CGIAR, a worldwide partnership engaged in agricultural research for development.
- Research at IFPRI focuses on six strategic areas:
- Ensuring Sustainable Food Production,
- Promoting Healthy Food Systems,
- Improving Markets and Trade,
- Transforming Agriculture,
- Building Resilience,
- Strengthening Institutions and Governance.
Read also: Subjects Of International Law