Various factors controlling weathering processes , these include the composition of the rock and the minerals it contains as well as the climate of a region.
Factors Affecting Weathering Processes
Weathering types and rates vary at the regional and local spatial scales. Aside from climate, the type of rock (lithology) and the nature and extent of fractures or other flaws in it have a significant impact on the effectiveness of the various rock weathering processes.
- Different weathering processes are associated with different climatic conditions
- Chemical weathering, for example, is especially effective and rapid in humid climates.
- In arid climates, chemical weathering is much more limited.
- Salt weathering processes are very effective in marine coastal locations due to the abundance of salts, high humidity, and contact with seawater.
Rock and Mineral Type
- Rocks that resist weathering remain at the surface and form ridges or hills. Devil’s Tower in Wyoming is an igneous rock from beneath a volcano. As the surrounding less resistant rocks were worn away, the resistant center of the volcano remained behind.
- Different minerals also weather at different rates.
- Some minerals in a rock might completely dissolve in water but the more resistant minerals remain. In this case, the rock’s surface becomes pitted and rough.
- When a less resistant mineral dissolves, more resistant mineral grains are released from the rock.
A slope’s geographic orientation—whether it faces north, southeast, or west—controls the slope’s exposure to sun, wind, and precipitation.
- Although vegetative cover can protect rock by shielding it from raindrops and providing roots to stabilize soil
- It also produces organic acids from the partial decay of organic matter, which contributes to chemical weathering.
- Plant roots can enter crevices and break up a rock, exerting enough pressure to separate rock segments and expose more surface area to other weathering processes.
Factors Controlling Weathering ,Factors Controlling Weathering
Also Read : Weathering : Types