Mahindra Group chairman Anand Mahindra announced on Saturday that Mahindra Defence Systems (MDS), a wholly-owned subsidiary of his company, has started deliveries of ‘Armado,’ an Armoured Light Specialist Vehicle (ALSV) built for the Indian armed forces.
- It is India’s first Armoured Light Specialist Vehicle (ALSV).
- It is a fully indigenous vehicle designed and built by the Mahindra Defence Systems (MDS) for the Indian armed forces.
- It can accommodate a driver and 5 passengers.
- Above the standard 1,000 kg load capacity, the ASLV can carry another 400 kg.
- It gets ballistic protection up to the B7 level and STANAG level-2. This means that its armour offers protection against armour-piercing rifles.
- Also, the ASLV gets protection on all sides (front, side and rear) from ballistics and explosives.
- Powering the 4-wheeler is a 3.2-litre multi-fuel diesel engine that generates 216 hp of maximum power.
- Armado takes just 12 seconds to accelerate from 0 to 160 kmph, and runs at a speed of more than 120 kmph.
- It also gets a self-cleaning-type exhaust scavenging and air filtration system for extreme dusty climate, like deserts.
- A modular vehicle, it can be used in counter-terrorism operations, raids in open and desert terrains, and reconnaissance missions.
Read also:- ISRO successfully conducts landing experiment of the Reusable Launch Armado Vehicle