Why in News?
According to the information provided by the Press Information Bureau of the Government of India on June 12, 2023, the 12th edition of the joint military exercise ‘Ex Ekuverin’ between the Indian Army and the Maldives National Defence Force to be held in Chaubatia, Uttarakhand from June 11 to 24, 2023.
An Overview of the News:
- Ekuverein, meaning ‘friend’, is a bilateral annual exercise held alternately in India and Maldives.
- The joint military exercise “EX EKUVERIN” between the two countries will be held from 11 to 24 June 2023.
- A platoon-strength contingent of the Indian Army and Maldives National Defense Force will participate in the 14-day long exercise.
- The 14-day exercise aims to enhance interoperability in UN counter-insurgency/anti-terrorist operations and promote joint humanitarian assistance and disaster relief operations.
- It will focus on sharing best practices, enhancing coordination and cooperation between the two forces at the tactical level.
- The 11th edition of joint military exercise “EX EKUVERIN” was held in Maldives in December 2021.
Exercise Ekuverin is a bilateral military exercise conducted between the Indian Army and the Maldivian National Defense Force (MNDF). The exercise aims to enhance military cooperation and interoperability between the two countries.
The term “Ekuverin” is derived from the Maldivian word for “friends.” It symbolizes the close and friendly relations between India and the Maldives. The exercise has been conducted annually since 2009 and is held alternately in India and the Maldives.
Read also:- Joshimath Sinking Crisis Issue and Causes
Indo-Maldives joint military exercise “Ekuverein” at Chaubatia, Uttarakhand, Indo-Maldives joint military exercise “Ekuverein” at Chaubatia, Uttarakhand