Water is one of the most precious natural resources and a key element in the socio-economic development of a country .In India, the primary source of water is rainfall. Approximately 2.45% of the world’s surface area, 4% of its water resources, and 16% of its population are all accounted for by India.
- About 71% of earth’s surface is covered by water
- But, water on earth is distributed in such a way that only a small fraction of total water available on the earth is useful for human consumption.
Distribution of Water on Earth
- Water resources are natural resources that have the potential to be used as a source of water.
- Saltwater makes up about 97 per cent of the world’s water.
- Freshwater makes up only 3% of the total, with slightly more than two-thirds frozen in glaciers and polar ice caps. The remaining unfrozen freshwater is mostly found as groundwater, with only a little amount found above ground or in the atmosphere.
Availability and Potential of Water in India
- India covers around 2.45% of the world’s surface area and has 4% of the world’s water resources.
- In India, rainfall is the primary source of freshwater. For a country of its size, India receives the second most amount of rainfall.
- Resources of water India can be classified into:
- Surface water Resources
- Groundwater Resources
Also Read : Stages of Soil Formation