Different variants of Warm Temperate Eastern Margin Climate include the:
- Temperate monsoon Climate or China Type Climate,
- Gulf Type Climate and
- Natal Type Climate.
- Found between 20° and 35° N and S latitude (warm temperate latitudes just outside the tropics); on the east coast in both hemispheres.
China Type Climate
- Temperate Monsoon or China Type climate is observed in most parts of China. The climate is also observed in southern parts of Japan.
- Intense heating within interiors (Tibet, desert region) sets up a region of low pressure in summer attracting tropical Pacific air stream (South-East
- Monsoon does not ‘burst’ as suddenly, nor ‘pour’ as heavily as in India.
- Typhoons form mostly in late summer, from July to September.
- There is little rain but considerable snow on the windward slopes.
- Another climatic feature associated with the China type of climate in Southern China is the occurrence of typhoons.
- Natural Vegetation Supports a luxuriant vegetation.
- The lowlands carry both evergreen broad-leaved forests and deciduous trees [hardwood].
- On the highlands, are various species of conifers such as pines and cypresses which are important softwoods.
Gulf Type Climate
- Found in south-eastern U.S.A., bordering the Gulf of Mexico where continental heating in summer induces an inflow of air from the cooler
Natal Type Climate
- Found in in New South Wales (Australia), Natal (South Africa), Parana- Paraguay-Uruguay basin (South America).
- Natal type is different from temperate monsoon or China type as it receives rainfall from on-shore Trade Winds all the year round.
- Rainfall is more than moderate, anything from 60 cm to 150 cm.
- This is adequate for all agricultural purposes and hence supports a wide range of crops.
- Areas which experience this climate are very densely populated.
- There is the fairly uniform distribution of rainfall throughout the year.
- Rain comes either from convectional sources or as orographic rain in summer, or from depressions in prolonged showers in winter.
- Local storms, e.g. typhoons (tropical cyclones) and hurricanes, also occur.
Warm Temperate Eastern Margin Climate
Also read : Arctic Tundra Climate