Maternity Support Scheme, also known as Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana (PMMVY), aims to provide financial assistance to pregnant and lactating mothers across India. Through this initiative, the government offers Rs 6000 to eligible women for their first live birth. Implemented nationwide, the scheme ensures that pregnant women receive essential financial support for their nutritional needs. Regardless of income level, all pregnant women are eligible for this assistance. The scheme’s objective is to ease the financial burden on expecting mothers and promote their well-being. Since its inception on January 1, 2017, pregnant women across the country have been benefiting from this program.
However, Pregnancy Assistance Scheme will help pregnant women in many ways but the scheme has two main objectives:
- We’re offering financial support to employed women to compensate for any income they might lose while taking time off for pregnancy and childbirth. Our goal is to ensure these women don’t suffer financially during this crucial period.
- Providing assistance to pregnant and breastfeeding mothers to enhance their overall well-being, including proper rest and nutrition, thereby improving their health outcomes and reducing the effects of malnutrition, through the provision of cash incentives.
- Matru Vandana Yojana commenced in January 2017, under the administration of the Ministry of Women and Child Development.
- It is a centrally sponsored initiative aimed at supporting pregnant and lactating mothers.
- Through both the Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana and the National Health Mission, eligible rural women receive a total of Rs 6400, while urban pregnant women receive Rs 6000.The scheme entails direct cash transfers to the bank accounts of beneficiaries to address their heightened nutritional requirements and compensate for potential wage loss.
- Target beneficiaries include pregnant women and lactating mothers employed by the Central or State Governments, Public Undertakings, or those entitled to similar benefits under existing laws.
- Pregnant women and new mothers will receive assistance through the Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana (PMMVY) specifically after the birth of their first child. This support will be directly deposited into their bank accounts via Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT).
- The scheme entails three installments of financial aid distributed at different stages:
– The first installment of Rs 1000 will be provided upon registering the pregnancy.
– The second installment of Rs 2000 will be granted if the beneficiary has a child after six months of pregnancy and undergoes a prenatal checkup.
– The third installment will be disbursed upon the registration of the child’s birth and the commencement of their first vaccination cycle, which includes BCG, OPV, DPT, and Hepatitis-B vaccinations.
- It’s important to note that the PMMVY does not extend to pregnant women and new mothers falling under certain categories:
– Those employed by the Central or State Government or any Public Sector Undertaking.
– Individuals already benefiting from similar schemes or legal provisions.