Recently , the Drug price regulator National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority has fixed the ceiling prices for 12 anti- diabetic generic medicines, which includes glimepiride tablets, glucose injection and intermediate acting insulin solution.
Read also:- National Medical Commission (NMC)
About the National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority:
- It was established to fix and revise the prices of controlled bulk drugs, and formulations and to enforce prices and availability of the medicines in the country, under the Drugs (Prices Control) Order, 1995.
- Nodal Ministry: It is an attached office of the Department of Pharmaceuticals (DoP), Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilisers.
- It is an independent Regulator for pricing of drugs and to ensure availability and accessibility of medicines at affordable prices.
- To implement and enforce the provisions of the Drugs (Prices Control) Order in accordance with the powers delegated to it.
- To deal with all legal matters arising out of the decisions of the Authority.
- To monitor the availability of drugs, identify shortages, if any, and to take remedial steps
- To collect/ maintain data on production, exports and imports, market share of individual companies, profitability of companies etc, for bulk drugs and formulations
- To undertake and/ or sponsor relevant studies in respect of pricing of drugs/ pharmaceuticals
- To recruit/ appoint the officers and other staff members of the Authority, as per rules and procedures laid down by the Government
- To render advice to the Central Government on changes/ revisions in the drug policy
- To render assistance to the Central Government in the parliamentary matters relating to the drug pricing.
Read also:- Operation Dost
Significance of NPPA-
- During pandemic time, it played a very crucial role by fixing the prices of the drugs and medical devices making it affordable and accessible to the general public.
- It makes the supplier of drugs to sell them at MRP rate and not more than MRP rate.
- Certain medicines and drugs are important and they should be accessible to the public at a cheap rate so, NPPA make sure of that and controls the price to make few important drugs available easily.
Initiatives of NPPA-
- Price Monitoring and Resource Unit (PMRU) has been set up by NPPA in the various Indian States and Union Territories.
- PMRU’s have been established under the Consumer Awareness, Publicity and Price Monitoring (CAPPM) scheme.
NPPA is pushing towards digital mission by –
- Pharma Sahi Daam– Application to check prices of medicines
- Pharma Jan Samadhan– Public grievance system to help people resolve their problems.
- Pharma Data Bank– Online information collection from Pharma companies.
Read also:- First Pharma Park of Uttar Pradesh