Global Wind Day is observed on June 15 every year to celebrate wind energy and raise awareness about its potential. Organized by WindEurope and the Global Wind Energy Council (GWEC) as a global event, this day is observed annually by all UN member nations. Global Wind Day is an event that reinforces the idea of choosing sustainable alternative energy.
- This is a significant event that highlights the immense potential and importance of wind energy in addressing climate change and promoting sustainable energy solutions.
- In India, these celebrations were initiated by the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy, Government of India.
- As a part of the celebrations, a day-long program was organized in New Delhi.
- The event discussed the success, progress and potential of wind energy in India.
- Theme of celebration in India was ‘Pawan – Urja: Powering the Future of India’.
- MNRE has set a target of 500 GW renewable energy capacity by 2030.
Every year, the Global Wind Day theme is set by the organizers, EWEA and GWEC. As this day is observed to celebrate wind as an energy resource, the theme of the day is also around the same. Many different countries participate in Global Wind Day celebrations annually.
Global Wind Day theme 2023 is not yet announced by the organizers but is expected to be out soon. Generally, the theme revolves around highlighting the benefits and importance of wind as an energy source.
The history of Global Wind Day can be traced back to 2007 when it was officially organized for the first time by EWEA (European Wind Energy Association). The value of wind energy and its immense scope as a sustainable resource was realized. Here is more information about the history and origin of Global Wind Day.
- In 2007, Wind Day was celebrated for the first time in Europe.
- In 2009, the GWEC collaborated with EWEA to make Global Wind Day a global event.
- The event saw the participation of numerous countries from all over the world.
- In 2012, around 250 independent events were held in different countries.
- Year after year, This Day continues to be a big global event.
Read also:- Wind Movement