Context:- Egypt, the top seed, bagged the SDAT-WSF Squash World Cup at the Express Avenue Mall on Saturday, with a thumping 2-1 (4-1 on points) win over Malaysia, seeded fourth, in the final. Egypt won the World Cup when it was last held here in 2011.
An overview of the news
- Malaysia secured the silver medal in the championship.
- The third place in the championship was shared between the host country, India, and Japan.
- Malaysia defeated India with a score of 3-0 in the semi-final held the previous day.
- The Tamil Nadu Chief Minister, M.K.Stalin, awarded the winning team with the golden cup, while the Sports Minister, Udhayanidhi Stalin, presented medals to the victorious players.
- The state of Tamil Nadu has gained recognition in international sports by successfully organizing the Chess Olympiad within a remarkable four-month timeframe.
- A total of eight countries participated in the championship, which commenced on June 13.