United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres has announced the appointment of Haoliang Xu of China as Under-Secretary-General and Associate Administrator of the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
An overview of the news
- Xu Haoliang will succeed Usha Rao-Monari from India in this role.
- Xu has been serving as the UN Assistant Secretary-General and Director of the Bureau for Policy and Programme Support at the UNDP since 2019.
- Prior to that, from 2013 to 2019, he held the position of UNDP Assistant Administrator and Director of the Regional Bureau for Asia and the Pacific.
- He has worked in various capacities within the United Nations, undertaking assignments both in the field and at headquarters in regions such as Asia-Pacific, Europe, and Central Asia.
- Before joining the United Nations, Xu worked in the field of civil engineering in China and the United States.
- His academic qualifications include a bachelor’s degree in engineering from Tongji University in China, a master’s degree in management science from the Stevens Institute of Technology in the United States, and a master’s degree in international affairs from Columbia University.
- Xu is proficient in Chinese, English, and Russian.
What is the United Nations Development Programme do?
UNDP helps developing countries attract and use aid effectively. In all our activities, UNDP encourages the protection of human rights, capacity development and the empowerment of women. The UNDP was founded on 22 November 1965 with the merging of the Expanded Programme of Technical Assistance (EPTA) and the Special Fund in 1958.
Read also:- What is UN?
UN Chief appoints Xu of China as Deputy head of UNDP,UN Chief appoints Xu of China as Deputy head of UNDP