Ministry of Jal Shakti has launched various schemes in 2022-2023. Some important schemes are as follows :
NAL SE JAL Scheme
Context : An allocation of sum of Rs 60,000 crore has been made to cover 3.8 crore households over the country in 2022-23 under Har Ghar, Nal Se Jal scheme.
- To provide piped drinking water to every rural home in the country by 2024.
- The scheme is based on a unique model where paani samitis (water committee) comprising villagers will decide the amount they will pay against their water consumption.
- The fixed tariff will not be the same for everyone in the village. People who have large households will pay more,
while poor households or households where there is no earning member, will be exempted.
JAL JEEVAN MISSION
Context : 50% of rural households in India have now been covered under the Jal Jeevan Mission.
- Launched in 2019, It envisages supply of 55 liters of water per person per day to every rural household throughFunctional Household Tap Connections (FHTC) by 2024.
- The Mission is based on a community approach and includes extensive Information, Education and Communication as a key component of the mission.
- It looks to create a jan andolan for water, thereby making it everyone’s priority.
- The fund sharing pattern between the Centre and states is 90:10 for Himalayan and North-Eastern States, 50:50 for other states, and 100% for Union Territories.
- Functionality of existing water supply systems and water connections.
- Water quality monitoring and testing as well as sustainableagriculture.
- Conjunctive use of conserved water.
- Drinking water source augmentation.
- Drinking water supply system, gray water treatment and its reuse.
- Prioritizing provision of FHTCs in quality affected areas, villages in drought prone and desert areas, Sansad Adarsh Gram Yojana (SAGY) villages, etc.
- Providing functional tap connection to Schools, Anganwadi centers, Gram Panchayat buildings, Health centers, wellness centers and community buildings.
- Technological interventions for removal of contaminants where water quality is an issue.
JAL JEEVAN MISSION- “HAR GHAR JAL”
Context: Goa and Dadra & Nagar Haveli and Daman & Diu became the first ‘Har Ghar Jal’ certified State and UT in the country respectively.
About : Jal Jeevan Mission is a flagship programme of Government of India launched in 2019.
- To make provision of potable tap water supply in adequate quantity, of prescribed quality and on regular & long-term basis to every rural household of the country by 2024.
- The mission will include information, education, and communication as key components.
- The program is implemented by the Government of India in partnership with States/UTs based on a community approach to water.
- The mission is meant to create a people’s movement for water, making it everyone’s priority.